Friday, January 29, 2010

Cat Versus Bear

""
If you have a dog and feed them, groom them, shelter them, protect them, clean up after them and love them, they will think that you are God.
If you have a cat and feed them, groom them, shelter them, protect them, clean up after them and love them, they will know that they are God.
""
- G.Whiz

I'm a dog person. Love dogs. Woof. I've had three dogs in my life. Loved them all. So obedient, so loyal, so trusting, so fun to play and run and walk with. They eat the leftovers after dinner, and clean up the mess I leave under the table during dinner. They bark like crazy when there's a knock or ring at the front door. They lick my wounds, cuts and scrapes so they will heal faster. They will lick the salty sweat off my legs after I come home after a run. They will lick the tears off my face after I cry, and I just know it's not simply because the tears are salty.

Cats are cool, I like them, but my beef with the felines is that they are so lazy. They don't love you - they love themselves. Our cat is queen of the house and basically sleeps all day. What a life. But she has no problem waking me up at 5 a.m. after I finally get to sleep... She'll sniff in my ear, stand on my chest, run around the room and jump and bounce off me so I'll wake up and let her out. Grrrr! She wants to go outside and hunt. She's a good hunter. But instead of keeping our house vermin-free, she'll bring in mice, snakes, gophers, birds or lizards to show us her prowess. What a show-off. Her injured prey invariably escape and hide under the fridge or oven. Great.

But now this, fresh off the internet presses.

A woman in Quebec watches as her pet house cat scares off a bear that approached the home. If this was a pet dog, I think it would have been a very very ugly scene. Instead, the pet cat comes to the rescue. The bear wants nothing to do with fluffy. He just snags the bag of garbage and lumbers off. The sacre bleu narration and the baby laughing and screaming in the background makes it.

Watch this link first.
http://video.yahoo.com/network/100284668?v=6859557&l=3774740

This is off of YouTube.



Viva les chats!

Educational note: dogs, cats and bears are closely related. Oh my!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnivora

1 comment:

AE Donnelly said...

Dogs rule, especially the lick your tears away part, social, I wanna be part of everything, I am your best friend. Sadly, my dog, Mesa @ 14 has aged before my eyes this year. Thanks for reminding me about one of my closest friends, my pups.